Have you ever wanted to go on a ride-a-long with a cop? Well, here's your chance! Jump in, buckle up and hold on as I take you through the daily grind of the life of a cop.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Bloggin POPO


Okay, check this out. You want to know what cops really think like? Here goes........... Yesterday was my Friday and at the end of shift we get a call of three guys with guns breaking into an apartment and assaulting the resident. My first thought is "Yes! Action!" But that was immediately followed up by, "If I get there first I have to do all the paperwork." Then came "I'm off duty in one hour and it's my Friday. Why couldn't this have happenend yesterday when it was slow?" All that came and went in about 3/10 of a second so all of you 911 callers out there don't worry. So then I put on my cape, turned on my lights and cranked the siren. Why, I don't know because nobody gets out of our way anyway, but since it's policy I just do it. The adrenaline is now flowing and I'm ready to go to work. Most people think confronting three bangers with guns is crazy, and it probably is, but for me it's fun. I mean someone has to do it, right?! Now is my time to swing my proverbial sword and axe and go to battle! So as I get into the area, my partner says he's arrived and the bad guys just jumped into a car and are taking off. All of a sudden I see the bad guys coming right at me from around the corner, and fast! I go to block the road and the driver tries to go around. I try to cut him off and he rips through the dirt median barely missing a ditch and plows over a street sign. Some how he is able to fishtail his way back onto the road. Pure luck! That's what bad guys have, pure luck! So my partner comes screaming around the corner and is in pursuit. Now I have to make a 3-point turn around that seemed to take about 4 months to do but at least I'm ready to get in this thing. I hit the gas and take off but traffic is getting in my way. My partner is now on the freeway by himself chasing armed bad guys and I'm falling behind, quick! I finally get on the freeway and I see my partner way up there but at least I see his lights. I'm now rippin down the freeway at 110 mph trying to catch up when my cell phone rings. I think it's my wife so I answered the phone and said "sweetie, I'm in pursuit." But it's my son Josiah and he says "Umm dad, can I stay the night at Jesse's house? I quickly tell him I'm busy and to ask his mother who's at a friend's house, but he says that he already tried but her phone is off. He's begging me at this point and I guess the siren in the background wasn't a clue so I tell him "sure, sounds good, love you gotta go." I mean he could've asked for a new bike at that point and I would've said yes. Because I had to go! So I hang up my phone and I try to get in the pursuit. Quick question.... Have you ever had someone cut you off in traffic? How about when you are going 120 mph with lights and siren? Not once, but twice! Funny I went to work a Christian that morning but at that moment all I wanted to do was knock that car into next week! As I pass by the car I give a quick wave, with all my fingers, I say a few kind words under my breath and continue on. Now, if I have to give a driver advice it would be to check your rear view mirror once in a while! Not once a week, but every few seconds or so. And if you see a cop car parked on your bumper with lights flashing and he is looking at you with an upside down smile that might be a clue to move over, right? It's not a clue to slam on the brakes, which always happens, but to move over... to the right! Not your left because that is where we the police pass. And right means over to the slow lane where you should've been driving in the first place. Anyway, moving on.... I step back on the gas and try to catch up. My partner was doing a great job with his Moses impression by parting the red sea (of brake lights) but you'd think traffic would stay out of the way but nooooooooooo! As quick as they pulled over they moved right back into my lane even though there are now 20 cops motoring at mach one in the fast lane behind them. So now I'm riding the bumper of this lady who has the nerve to raise her hands up like "What?" I'm like "What!!!!" I'm thinking to myself that she has no idea she just had a near death experience but I don't have time to rip her out of the wing window. I thought for a second I should just pull her over because it appears that I am going nowhere fast so why not?! And remember the image of cops on your bumper with lights and siren and an upside down smile? Well they're now on my bumper! So I raise my hands like "what?!" and I can't help but think I'm slowing up all of mankind. This is now truly a battle because traffic is not cooperating but I march on like a good troop. So we head up a long freeway into another city and thinking they are waiting at the end of it for us to get there. Wrong again. It must've been coffee break time or something, or more like "it's their chase and we're off in 30!" Well eventually the bad guys bail out of the car into 'crack central'. Yep they got away. Or did they? Stay tuned....... Oh yeah, on the way back a kind hearted citizen called 911, to thank us right? Yeah right! He called to complain that an officer threw a cigarette out a window! Time out! Let's just say an officer did do that. Wouldn't you think that an officer chasing ARMED BAD GUYS might need to discard the thing at least for safety purposes? I guess not. The funny thing is that the officer he complained against doesn't even smoke, and it was my sergeant. Too funny, huh?! And to the dude that called 911 to complain...... if a cop flies over a lit cigarette at mach one it's going to fly up in the air like it flew out his window you knuckle head! But bless him anyways. =)

8 Comments:

Blogger Cagle Clan said...

That was so funny babe! What a great post, I can't wait to hear more...than I don't have to listen to it when you get home! I'm just kidding!!! I love you and I love your stories, you know that. I just wish you could tell them a little faster (that was for you, Justin). OK, I'm sorry..I will be nice. :) I am SO proud of you sweetie. You truly are my hero. You are the greatest man I have ever met, it is an honor to be your wife. I look forward to adding blogging to all the many things we enjoy together!! :)
Love you!!! Jess

1:01 PM

 
Blogger Tammie said...

Great post! When you I read of Jess' sight that you were starting this site and going to talk about your life as a cop, I agreed. What a great idea! Your a good writer too, that makes it all the better. And its sure good to know we have intelligent cops too!

4:59 PM

 
Blogger Rachel Ann said...

LOL! Hi, I'm a friend of Jess's from way back. What great insight and hilarity. Thank you for going to work a Christian and still being able to hang onto your Christianity through to the end! I think just like you, and I'm just a mere civilian...some people need to learn how to drive better and look in their rear view mirrors.

Blessings
Rachel McAskill

10:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was GREAT! We are staying tuned to next weeks episode of the blogging popo=)

10:04 PM

 
Blogger Bloggin POPO said...

Hey thanx for the kind words guys. I'm glad you liked the post, it was fun to do and I'll keep them coming. And to my sweetie.... you think it takes me a long time to tell a story, but that is only because you are blonde and can only process a few thoughts at one time. That is unless you are talking about food or make-up. =) jk, I truly love and adore you! Plus you make me laugh.

10:36 PM

 
Blogger me..... said...

Hi there. Found your link on a friend(Crystal) of friend's(Maryna) blog. My hubby and I laughed so much last night, especially the bit of going out a Christian. He gets into his car a Christian every morning, but we live in Sunny South Africa and here we have minibus taxis. Anyone who has ever been in SA will know what that means. Will check your blog out again from here.
Bye for now,
Erika & Arthur

7:06 AM

 
Blogger Carpenters said...

Oh my gosh that is a typical Cagle Story. All that was missing was stopping half way through and not completing it.

Cagle you need to move to Reno and become a Reno cop so I can call you Lt. Dangle.

Miss Ya!

~Justin

9:05 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Good stuff John, Keep it coming!

4:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home