Have you ever wanted to go on a ride-a-long with a cop? Well, here's your chance! Jump in, buckle up and hold on as I take you through the daily grind of the life of a cop.

Friday, April 07, 2006

the saga continues

Hello everyone out there in the civilian world. I hope your week was fun and full of excitement. As for me, I'm ready for a day off for sure! I guess I'll start with my first call from yesterday where a vehicle was left partially blocking an entrance to a trailer park. I get there and the vehicle was smashed up and leaking all over. It looked like it struck a pole or something because the front end was crunched pretty good. I assume that it was a DUI driver from overnight so I run the plate and it doesn't show stolen. I checked the car and see that there is a key in the ignition. I call the owner who says that her 17 y/o son drove it last night and he is at a friend's house. She said that she would call him and meet me at the location. When she arrives she tells me that her son just woke up and noticed that the car was gone and he wants to report it stolen. Hmmm, how convenient! He admits to being at a party drinking but he stayed at the house and never left with the car. He said that he put the car key under the floormat and went inside to party. I don't know about you but when I park my car I put the key in my pocket not inside the car. Anyway, he says someone stole it and that's it. The mom believes him and basically orders me to take fingerprints. She was the type that says that she pays taxes and therefore my salary so I better do it. But I live in the city where I work so wouldn't that be the same? Or more like I'm self employed? Maybe I should give my self a raise with logic like that! Anyway, I check for prints and find two on the rear view mirror. I notice that the kid is a little nervous so I explain to him that not one single car was stolen or broken into overnight, which is rare in my city, except his which happens to have the key under the floormat. I tell him that there are no signs of forced entry and remind him that making a false report is a crime and he can be arrested. Lastly, I tell him that I will send these prints off the be checked and if they come back to him he's busted. I give him one last chance to tell the truth and he caves. He admits that he crashed the car.... but wasn't drunk. Yeah right! Take that mom! The funny thing is that it's his car so the prints should be in there. He totally fell for it. Oh, he has also never been fingerprinted before so there was no way the prints would have ever come back to him. My wife called it sneaky of me which may be true but I call it good police work. I mean come on, my job would be way too easy if I walked right up and the dude said "yes sir I did steal that car, or rob that bank, or broke into that house". But since they lie we have to get creative, which is the fun part. So I let mom handle the matter and leave. Lesson learned for him I hope.
Moving on...... after that call I get another call to go to a passed out drunk guy back at the Labor Ready. But on the way I see a nice Expedition in front of me so I run the plate. I see that the female driver looks nervous and when I get the return I notice that it is registered to the one and only "Jim and Tammie". Yep that's right, the very Tammie that leaves replies to my posts. How cool is that?! Wouldn't it be great if we all ran into each other somehow through all of this? So I pull up next to her and roll down my window and she said that she was nervous I was going to pull her over. Too funny! So we say our goodbyes at the traffic light and I continue on. When I arrive at the drunk guy he is out cold. He is one of our local transients who drinks enough to kill me so I check to make sure he is at least breathing. As I lean in, his "spider sense" must have kicked in because he jumped up and I startled the daylights out of him. Well me too but I couldn't show that. I have an image to protect, right? So I make sure he is okay and send him on his way. I drive back to the station and pull into the fenced lot and when I step out of the car there is a white and gray pet rabbit running around under the cars. No joke. I think where in the world did this thing come from? So I try to grab it but it takes off. As I go after it, I stop and think that this is probably a set up and a camera is on me right at that moment. But there is no camera and I left the bunny be. Maybe we have a new PD pet? There's a ton more so stay tuned. I'll post more tomorrow.

5 Comments:

Blogger Evey said...

Let's hope the little bunny found it's way home safe and sound.

I got your blog address from Bryan and Andrea McClees. I am married to Bryan's brother Chris. Your posts are great, I look forward to reading more.

8:24 AM

 
Blogger Tammie said...

Creative thinking!!! How do you deal with these people all day.
You definately see two walks of life!
And hey, I made your blog!

3:57 PM

 
Blogger Bloggin POPO said...

Evey, thanx for leaving a reply and I'm glad you like the posts. It's fun to do and as long as people like reading them, I'll keep writing them. My wife and Brian are on the worship team together and he is a great guy. I like him a lot.
Tammie, yes you are famous now! It was really neat running into you though. =) Tell big Jim I said hello.

9:08 PM

 
Blogger Parties by Design said...

Glad to see you stuck it to the mom who is totally disconnected. Thats how parents end up with criminal kids! GEE...

10:24 AM

 
Blogger Karen said...

Yikes. Do you randomly just run plates??? Okay, see, if you run across a big red family van with a bunch of Christian fishies on the back, it's probably us and I'm a really good driver and my kids are always buckled safely and we follow all of the traffic rules and I try to make sure that my tail lights are ALWAYS working (well, except for that one time in Black Diamond...but that's a long story)...

1:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home