Have you ever wanted to go on a ride-a-long with a cop? Well, here's your chance! Jump in, buckle up and hold on as I take you through the daily grind of the life of a cop.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

A flawed system?

Hello again. I just woke up and felt the need to post! Plus Jessica told me that I needed to. =) I guess it has been a few days but it has been a long week and I’m so glad it is the weekend. Plus it is Easter weekend which is really cool. I’m looking forward to church on Sunday to see and hear some great music and words from Pastor Steve.
Well if I have to title this week I would have to call it "white trash week". I don’t call it that to be demeaning in any way because I do not think badly of people that don’t have things or are in bad circumstances. What I am talking about is a state of mind, a way of life based on continual bad decisions even when faced with truth. I’m talking about how the household is run or lack thereof for that matter. Unfortunately, I am talking about three single moms on welfare that appear to be abusing the system. I personally think that there is nothing wrong with welfare or even being on it. It is a great system designed to help those in need, especially children. I am even a product of the welfare system. But there are those out there that feel that they are entitled to everything under the sun because they don’t have. They want free rent, free food, free clothes and free money. To those truly in need they should get some or all of those things. But I’m going to tell you a story about a group of people that test the limits of my Christianity. They test my limits as a parent, and they test my limits as a police officer.
For several months we have been dealing with a group of kids with ages ranging from 9-12. Somehow, and I don’t want to know how, they are all related or interrelated. They live in an apartment building that is smaller than a shoe box. The parking lot is so small that my patrol car barely fits in it. It more looks like an old motel with only a few rooms. It sits across the street from a new business project that is fun for people to visit, shop and eat. But these kids run amok over there and are causing problems. They first came to our attention when one day they went into a business and slapped a cashier on the butt and then ran out. So we tracked them down and spoke to their parents, which only consists of their mothers, and learned that the families recently moved to Kent and were “placed” in the apartments. That’s clue #1.
We are specifically dealing with 3 of the apartments all next to each other. The mother lives in one with her kids, her adult daughter lives in the third one with all of her kids, and the middle apartment is the aunt with all of her kids. Each woman has different kids from different fathers. They all smoke, drink and sleep all day while their kids are running the streets. They also have people living with them who are in the same situation. To make matters worse the toilet in one doesn’t work, the shower in the other doesn’t work, and the sinks in the third doesn’t work. So they are all constantly going in an out of each other’s home to do what they need to do. Well this is starting to take a toll on their patience and they are all now fighting and accusing each other of stealing things. It is a complete mess and the kids are caught up in the middle. So why not get CPS involved you might ask? See clue #1, they are already involved.
The other day the kids got kicked out of the library because they were all running around playing tag and knocking things over. Could you imagine taking your own kids to the library and having to deal with these kids running around? Well at first they refused to leave and when they finally did they knocked over the tables that have all the tax forms and booklets because they were mad. That’s when I was called. Needless to say they picked up everything! Two days ago they were throwing rocks at other kids at a park so I had to kick them out of there too. Unfortunately they are too young to commit a crime, too young for juvenile detention, and the only option is to take them home. And really, it’s not their fault. They are products of their parenting. The kicker is that they really aren’t being “neglected”. They have food, clothes, shelter and education. All provided free by the taxpayers. Of course they don’t live in the best of situations, but it’s legal. So now the CPS and DSHS (welfare) systems have only been enabling the families to be right where they are. No accountability, no expectation to move up.
Back to the moms…. A few weeks ago one of them wanted to report their Quest Debit card stolen. This card has replaced food stamps, and it is pin # specific so you need the pin # to use it. Just like a real debit card. So I get her story and she says that it was stolen the day after payday and someone used it at a local store and all the money is now gone. She tells me that she needs a case number from the police so she can get a new one, with new money, so she can feed her family. I ask her how the “thief” got her pin # and she said that she doesn’t know. Yeah right! This is a common scam by the way. And she is telling me this as she is puffing away on a cigarette. You know how much money she would save it she was just quit? Anyway, so here is the dilemma… I know that she is lying but if I don’t give her the case # her kids might suffer for a few weeks. So what would you do? Well last week the other adult calls and says that her prescription meds are stolen. I already know the answer because this is another common scam but I ask her what kind of meds it was and she says “Oxycontin”. This is a good drug but addictive and sells on the black market. She also needs a case # so she can get a new bottle of pills, on taxpayer’s dime of course. What would you do? Tough choice, huh?! Not for me!
My week finally ends with a call back to the same families where they are fighting in the parking lot. I get there and all of the adults are yelling, swearing, and going off at each other and right in front of their kids. They were dropping so many f-bombs that every other word was an expletive. After several requests to please stop yelling and swearing, my partner and I had to basically tell them all to shut up! The sad thing is that is how they respond to things. Please and thank you just doesn’t work. So we get it all settled and send them all to their rooms so to speak. But I know we will be back there next week when I return from my days off. It is sad to see a mother, her daughter, and their kids to live like this. You can just see the effects of generational sins and curses being passed along. It is a reminder that I was once not too far away from being in a situation like them. But I have made a decision to take stand! A stand to break the mold of my forefathers and not be like them. A new generation starts with me. It will be a generation of people who love God. The sins and curses of my father and his father stop here with me! I am a man of God who will raise my family in a new light. That is my stand! I just hope I can impart that on these families as well.
This is just a typical call and one of many we deal with daily. I can see why cops get so cynical after long careers dealing with this type of stuff, not to mention all of the other things we see. But thankfully I have Jesus to help me out with this stuff. He keeps me grounded. Without Him I would probably say things to these people that should never be said. I took this job to help people, to be a light in a time of darkness. So if you ever get a chance, pray that for me. Pray that I see the Jesus in people and they see Him in me.

12 Comments:

Blogger Bryan said...

I feel for you, bro. Thanks for protecting and serving. And next time I honk at you in a big orange and white pump truck, try to smile and wave.

-B

7:50 PM

 
Blogger Potts Family 5 said...

John - I can't imagine dealing with that all the time! I know the struggle for me would be between compassion and justice. As a mom, and a Christian, even reading your blog my heart breaks for the children. Given a different family life, they could be thriving. As a taxpayer, it's frustrating to see the system abused. You are so great because you are tough, but you have a heart for people. God has placed you there. Jesus is there only hope and your only strength!

2:47 PM

 
Blogger Parties by Design said...

John, I take it from two stand points. I have been on both sides of the fence! I have needed medical and food help from the state and have not been able to get it due to making too much money. I don't know what they consider being too much..we were not making ends met late on every bill and going to the food bank.(but at least tring to work and make money) We have also been on the end were we need it due to no job no income and being able to recieve medical and food help and anything else we needed..So Mike and I were talking yesterday after we just went grocery shopping after recieving our first WA food stamp card. We are reciveing too much money!! For our home we are reciving twice the amount of money we would use on a normal bases to feed our family. Which leads me to the point that the system is designed to inable people! It is so easy to not work and live high on the hog! Why not you can recieve food, medical, cash money everyhting paid for if only you do not work! If you work you make too much money thus not qualifing..Get it! It is a circle of inablement to be lazy and teach our children the same. I believe for hard working people who try to make ends met and need some help from time to time thats what tax paying is all about...Sorry so long!You asked Jess

7:09 PM

 
Blogger GL Rules said...

Wow. That is so heart-wrenching for those kids, and to have to see it, and be professional in the face of it. God bless you, brother, I'd have lost it. I put my neighbor in cuffs just on suspicion after reading your account.
(p.s. I went to High School with your wife, Jess. Found this through her MySpace posting, I'll be back to read!)

9:16 PM

 
Blogger Bloggin POPO said...

Wazzup everyone? Thanks for the encouragement and support. I love the feedback everyone is replying with on this post. It sure makes for an interesting discussion, huh?! Realistically though, a large majority of people use the system honestly and for the intended purpose. So if you have ever been on it or are currently using it, please take full advantage of all the benefits. That is why we pay taxes. Melissa said something that is so true. The hardest working people in this country are the ones that have climbed out of low income and into the middle range. Their money is stretched so far and probably "deserve" extra benefits, but can't get it because they now make just over the limit. And she was right when she said it makes you think why bother when I could just sit back and make less and get more. I think it is just overcoming the poverty mentality and wanting to strive for more. Nobody should ever feel ashamed for using the system. I love to know that tax dollars go to some good. And to be honest, the cheaters and criminals will always use it for evil instead of good so we all might as well think in the positive and hope all are blessed. The system may be flawed but it is one of the best in the world. Tough to complain about that, huh? That last line was for me. =)

11:02 PM

 
Blogger Tammie said...

wow! so sad!! And I am sure very frustrating at times. But I am glad that we have cops like you that can see things with such a clear perspective. Keep it up!

11:03 PM

 
Blogger Kenzie said...

Man! You are an incredible writer John! I'm so proud of you and your family! I'm so thankful for ya'll too! It's so great to know that there are cops out there that do care! You DO make a difference, even if you don't see the fruit right away. I'll be praying for ya!

11:04 PM

 
Blogger Bloggin POPO said...

P.S. Holly, thank you for the kind words. It is a struggle for me sometimes when I deal with it day in and day out. And this is just one area. Now throw in domestic violence, thieves and on and on. But I'm not complaining because my job is so fun and exciting. I'm so thankful that God has placed certain skills in me that allow me to do what I do. And to be honest, Jessica really keeps me grounded. I get to come home and vent once in a while and then she steers me back on course. She is so good for me!

11:10 PM

 
Blogger MKD said...

John-I completly agree with you on this topic. There truly is nothing to stop the cycle of getting people off it. I used to volunteer with the Pierce County Juvenile Court system for awhile & I'll be honest, you could just tell the kids whose parents were living off the system & how that was pretty much their excuse as to why their kids screwed up. It was always someone else's fault, but their own or their kids for that matter. It really was sad. And its obvious that it'll never go away. It is good that its there for those who need it, myself included because I used it during my pregnancy with Noah. But in the end I shouldn't have to pay for those Leaching off the system.
Keep up your blog John. I love it & it is very good to read from a guys point of view.
God Bless!

11:37 PM

 
Blogger Carpenters said...

Popo,
I sure do miss hearing these stories over coffee on a Saturday morning. You with your ghetto hot chocolate and me with my awesome Starbucks listening as you talk about the calls you took that week. Keep up the awesome work!! You were born for this!!

Peace,

Justin

10:19 AM

 
Blogger Bloggin POPO said...

Dude! My Circle K hot chocolate rocks! And I miss those times too bro. More than you know. Peace!

10:48 AM

 
Blogger me..... said...

Hi there! I really take my hat off to you for making a stand and turning away from the generational sins and confessing that you are the start of a new generation who will follow God. It is so liberating knowing that there is a way out of our circumstances and that we do not have to live with the sins of our fathers. Josh 24:15b says " but as for me and my house, we will serve Jehovah." may you and your house also serve the Lord.

4:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home