Have you ever wanted to go on a ride-a-long with a cop? Well, here's your chance! Jump in, buckle up and hold on as I take you through the daily grind of the life of a cop.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

An all too common call........

Hello once again. I know it’s been a while since my last post so I’ll get right to it, but first I just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments everyone has been leaving.
So anyway, we had a manager at an apartment complex call 911 because she saw a guy enter an apartment where his girlfriend lives. No biggie except there is a No Contact Order out against them that prevents him from seeing her. It all stemmed from a fight several months ago where she claimed that he assaulted her during an argument so she called 911. Well she later recanted her story at court and said that the “officers must have misunderstood” what she said. Well the judge didn’t buy it and set the case for trial so they’ll get their chance to prove it.
So we show up and my partner goes around the back in case he decides to bolt out the back window. I walk up to the apartment and I see the blinds moving so the element of surprise is probably now gone. I go ahead and knock on the front door and get no answer at first. I knock several more times and still no answer. I announce that I am the police (maybe I should’ve said “Bloggin POPO”) and I hear the female answer from inside with “what do you want.” Oh, I dunno. How about tomorrow’s weather report? (jk) I quickly explain that I need her to open the door and speak with me, which she does, and I tell her straight up why I’m there. She then says that her boyfriend left and isn’t there. I explained to her that I was going to ignore the comment because lying to the police is illegal and I told her that I wanted her to think about her next response very carefully before saying anything. And to help her from getting arrested for telling another lie I wanted to paint a picture so clear that she would know I was helping her out. I told her that witnesses just saw him go inside and not leave so I was positive that he was still there. I told her that I would like her permission to check her home to see if he is there and she says “I don’t feel real comfortable with that.” I bet! I explained to her that in these cases I really don’t need her permission and I was going to anyway so I gave her one more chance and asked her if he was inside. She said, “I think he may have left but I’m not sure.”
I go inside and announce that the police was there and for him to come out. Of course I get no response so I go to the bedroom where I find the bathroom door locked. Hmmmm, I find this odd and highly suspicious. Okay, I know. It’s a big clue! I order whoever is inside to come out or I would kick the door in. No response. I say it again. No response. This seems to be the running theme at this home. So I get ready to kick in the door and I’m secretly thinking that I should’ve stretched out before work. And there is no cool way to do it while this lady is watching me so I step back and make one more announcement. Then I hear “Just a minute. I’m going to the bathroom.” Well I don’t know about you but if the police come to my home while I’m in the bathroom I won’t wait until the last second to let them know I’m in there.
But anyway, I order him out and he says “I’m almost done.” Yeah right! I ask him if he is “Randy” and he said, “No he left.” Uh huh! I mean am I now supposed to say okay and just leave. Sorry to bother you sir. Go about your business and have a nice day? I don’t think so. So I wait a minute and hear the toilet flush. I seriously wish I had $10 for every time this ploy has happened since I became a cop. It is so lame! But just in case, I tell him to wash his hands before he comes out. =) So he comes out and I put him in handcuffs. He eventually admits that he is the bad guy and off he goes to jail, but the whole way he does nothing but whine and cry. He had every excuse under the sun for his problems and took zero responsibility. At first I tried to be nice and offer advice but after 20 minutes of excuses I had to give him my two cents worth.
I decide to tell him one of my life’s mottos, and I have many. I told him that “you can tell the measure of a man by the countenance on his wife’s face”… and he says “huh?” I mean here I try to leave this knucklehead with some profound advice and all I get is “huh?” I tell him never mind and he replies with “you just don’t understand our problems.” I quickly explain back to him that I understand he was not supposed to be there, I understand that he locked himself in the bathroom and left his girlfriend to fend off the police for him, I understand that he pretended to be someone else other than the man of her dreams and the head of the home, I understand that he blames everyone and everything for his problems other than himself....however I also understand that he is without God so I don’t stick him with a whole bunch of charges, just the order violation. =)
I just don't get it. I have been on so many of these calls, and unfortunately will go on many, many more. I may never get it...why do so many women subject themselves to this? Why do they call 911 for help, only to show up in court in defense of these guys? They'll keep calling for help, and I'll keep showing up....but I guess if I can truly help even one, it makes it all worth it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Buford said...

Can't think of a better man to be there for them (or any other person in danger).

6:40 AM

 
Blogger The Riley's said...

I think trying to understand the mentaility of these women will only make us all very tired. You spoke measures into that mans life. One day he will get that comment you made, one day it will all make sense.. When he is standing in the presence of God he will say "one time this cop said to me".

Well Im glad you one of the good guys. I agree with buford! Blessings!

9:56 AM

 
Blogger The Young Family said...

I have a friend that councils, battered woman, and she used to get so frustrated at the woman for the same reason, they would ask for help, then not take it! Keeping the cycle of abuse going. Your rigth if you reach out and help one woman, you have done well.
Thanks for your continued efforts!

10:28 AM

 
Blogger Chris and Laura said...

I don't know how you deal with the same drama everyday, I couldn't do it. I do want to say thank you for enforcing the hand wash after using the bathroom, I really appreciate your code of cleanliness!

9:35 PM

 
Blogger Bloggin POPO said...

You know what they say Laura.... Cleanliness is next to Godliness.=)

11:25 PM

 
Blogger Tammie said...

I admire the kind words of wisdom you have this man. You definately planted seeds and I hope he thinks about what you said. You are a wise cop! I would want one like you if I was a bad guyI! But hopefully will never need one.

12:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are out there...you have such a great mix of integrity in upholding the law, as well as compassion for these struggling people.

8:35 AM

 
Blogger Bloggin POPO said...

Hey guys, thanks for saying all the kind words. Now I feel all good inside and warm and fuzzy, which helps me get ready to go out and hit the streets.

11:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home