Have you ever wanted to go on a ride-a-long with a cop? Well, here's your chance! Jump in, buckle up and hold on as I take you through the daily grind of the life of a cop.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

I think I previously mentioned that we were having a burglary problem on the east side and it appears the trend is going down. We have identified most of the players and they are getting busted almost daily. The problem is that most of them are juveniles and get out of jail the very next day, that’s if the juvenile detention center even takes them at all. But the other day we see three of our local burglars walking around the area of a recent burglary so we go out to contact them. Sure enough they take off running through some apartments and into the woods. The younger officers take off on foot after them and the older and wiser officers (me) get in their car and drive after them. Well eventually the thieves tire out and after running all over creation we catch them. It sure is tough to out run the radio!
Anyway, after talking to the suspects we discover that they were visiting another local burglar who lives in the complex they just ran through. This suspect is the guy they take the stolen property too so he is of big interest to the police. So we decide to go talk to the parents and have a “chat” about how we can solve this problem. It was clear that we were going there to send the “appropriate message” that this problem is going to stop one way or another. But as the new sergeant I needed to be cordial and come from a position of offering assistance to the parents. At least that was my goal. My troops knock on the door and the father, who does not live in the home, answers. He’s an older but very big man. He is pretty cooperative and we ask to speak to his son. Naturally he wants to know why so we tell him and I ask if I can step inside to speak with him while my officers talk to the son. The dad agrees but appears leery and keeps an ear out for the other conversation….. And so do I.
I overhear the kid being disrespectful and since the dad is letting his son get away with this I chime in and explain to the kid about respect. Well dad starts to take offense to this. When one of my officers speaks up about it the dad gets distracted so I just stand there looking around the home for stolen property. Well another kid comes downstairs and picks something up from a table and makes noise. The dad thinks I grabbed it and starts arguing with me. Thankfully the other kid admitted to doing it but I didn’t like being accused of something I didn’t do. I mean I was standing right next to him and right next to the front door. Anyway, my officer starts to speak to the dad about his 17 y/o son hanging out with 14 y/o girl and the dad gets seriously mad. The officer looks like he’s a 17 y/o so it was kind of funny but the dad starts arguing and yelling. I try to explain that we were there to help but he yells at me to get out of his home. I notice that his son has a home detention ankle bracelet on so I ask the dad what it was for. Can you take a guess? Yep, burglary! So I tell the dad that it’s not by accident we are there and he should be doing something about his son. Now things go south really fast.
He yells “get the ‘blank’ out of my house” and reaches out to grab my arm. I tell him to don’t even think about touching me and I tell him of course I will leave. He again accuses me of taking something and yells at me for lecturing him. He says “I don’t need some punk ‘blankity’ cop lecturing me about my son” and he adds “I’ve been to prison!” Like that is supposed to impress me or something. I told him that I disagreed and pointed to his son’s bracelet. He didn’t like that either.
We are now outside near the garage door and he then goes into a tirade of insults and expletives toward me and is yelling at the top of his lungs so the whole world can hear. He again yells at me to leave and I told him we aren’t inside but he replies that I am on his property. I quickly explain that they rent the apartment, don’t own it, he doesn’t even live there and we are out in front in the home in the complex, not on his property. After I warn him about using profanity he is now ready to fight. He squares off at me and does a quick pull on his pants as if he is going to do something. So I stand there and call his bluff and ask him “what are you going to do now?” He says “I’m a convicted felon, I’m not afraid to fight the police.” Well in the end he just goes back to yelling so I leave him with this comment. “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cagle Clan said...

Oh my gosh babe....THAT was funny!! This is the first time I have heard that story (people might be surprised to realize we don't always sit around and talk about this stuff!). :)
When I read the line..."I told him that I disagreed and pointed to his son’s bracelet" ..I laughed and actually said out loud..."Oh no you didn't!" It was especially funny to me because I can SO see you doing that. I can just see the expression on your face. That poor dad, he didn't stand a chance. That's funny stuff babe. Oh, and the line....“only fear and space are stopping you. It’s your move”. That's classic Cagle right there. I love you babe....I'm still laughin!
~Jess

10:07 PM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

The title sums it up, doesn't it! So true...and sad.

8:59 AM

 
Blogger Buford said...

d00d. Talk about keeping your composure. Now I know you need a special annointing just for that. I was thinking about what's in the garage...

Seems to me you also need to know when to let certain things go, and when not to.

9:27 PM

 
Blogger Carpenters said...

Dude you crack me up! I can totally see you looking him square in the face and telling him "only fear and space are stopping you." I can totally see it and it makes me laugh! Even though you didn't have to run I wish that you would have taken the boot to him.

~Justin

9:26 AM

 
Blogger GL Rules said...

I always check back to your writing, and can't imagine how you do that duty day in and day out without sneaking a shot off. It must be in the training. God bless you, brother.

This blog in particular reads on so many levels. Bad kid, bad dad, "tough guy" syndrome in the home. What would have taken, his Foghat Box-set?
All the best.

10:46 AM

 
Blogger amy said...

Great post, very FUNNY!! I enjoy reading about your experiences! Take care

11:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home