Have you ever wanted to go on a ride-a-long with a cop? Well, here's your chance! Jump in, buckle up and hold on as I take you through the daily grind of the life of a cop.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Bloggin POPO logging off!

Wazzup…………. If you’ve been checking my blog lately it is obvious I haven’t posted in a while. Well there is a reason, and to make a long story short I am shutting down the Bloggin POPO. The reason is because there have been some people in the police community that have been offended by my blog, which is the last thing I wanted to have happen, and some think it is not a good representation of the department.
Last week I was called into the “I’m in Trouble Office” and had a meeting with my Lieutenant and the Asst. City Attorney. Right away I knew something was up because that just doesn’t happen. They explained that they wanted to talk about my blog and some of its content, and it was brought to my attention that some of the material in my blog could cause some problems for the department and the city. I don’t really want to go into detail but it mainly has to do with defense attorneys and lawsuits that could result from some of the stories in my blog. And since blog sites and myspace accounts are just starting to become part of the litigation world they just wanted to have a chat.
All in all it was a good conversation and it ended on a positive note. I highly respect both of these men and appreciate the time they took to talk to me about the matter. It would have been much worse if this issue would have been floating around the upper administration for awhile without me knowing about it. And they were in no way trying to infringe upon my first amendment right and explained that they actually liked the blog, its humor and how I write. They encouraged me to write a book and publish it long after any statute of limitations are up. I also want to point out that I was never in trouble nor did they actually ask me to shut down the blog, it was a decision I made on my own. And even though I fail at times, I want to try and live my life above reproach and not cause problems so I am shutting it down. I also want to stress that even though I never mentioned what department I was from, it was obvious that some people knew which one it was, and if anyone was offended and thinks poorly of my department I apologize. Please don’t let one officer’s blog site be the barometer of the entire department.
So how did this come about? Someone within the department wrote an “anonymous” letter to the mayor to complain. I’m pretty sure I know who it is because word travels and he obviously told the wrong person, who just happens to be a fan of the blog. But no big deal, it’s just a blog. And if you have been reading the blog for a while you can probably guess what kind of cop this guy is. Although he was successful in shutting down the blog (even though I wasn’t asked to do it), he was not able to succeed in his overall intent. It is clear that the lack of joy in his life, and the overall cowardice he attempts to hide, was only heightened by his not so anonymous letter. And regardless of what he tries to do within the department to make him look like the warrior he longs to be, deep down when he is alone at night he knows that it is only a façade. One that a true warrior sees right through.
But having that said…. I will do whatever I can to see that this officer exceeds in life and within the department. His issues bind him, not me. I hold no ill will and I truly mean that. Often in these cases I try to kill them with kindness, and I don’t hold grudges. And you never know, maybe this was a blessing. Maybe there might have been a lawsuit down the road I cannot see, but God can, and spared me from it.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the blog while it lasted. Please feel free to leave some last comments and I will shut the blog down in a week or so. Keep an eye out for my book coming to your local bookstore near you. =)

8 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

I can imagine how you must have felt when you were "called on the carpet" about your blog! (Ask Jess.) It's probably for the best, though. Better now than to wait until someone really gets you in trouble, I suppose. I think you should just start contributing to Jess' blog, as your humor would be a great contribution and will be missed! God bless you, John! I respect your decision and your attitude about it! Way to go!

10:30 AM

 
Blogger Carpenters said...

Bummer~ YOu have so many stories to tell! Oh well we will miss the stories, especially since they are complete ones!:) He he!

Karon

3:05 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh how sad! I will miss your stories. It was a way for us to keep up on your police life. Since we don't get to see you every week anymore, we won't get to hear the cool stories anymore. :) I am glad that you were able to share your job with the world for a short time. I think it is important for regular citizens to see "the other side of the law"
Anyway! Love you and will miss your humor. BUT I am looking forward to that book. It will make you millions I just know it!

3:09 PM

 
Blogger me..... said...

Hi there. Have been reading your blog since we found it on a mutual friends links. Will look out for your book. Maybe you can publish in South Africa earlier...

11:07 PM

 
Blogger Cagle Clan said...

Sweetie,
You stories will be missed!!! At least I will still get to hear them...although like Karon said...they may not always have actual endings. :) JK!!!!
You're an awesome writer, a great police officer, and an amazing man. Nothing can touch that. Not even the haters :)...did I sound all gangster when I said that?
Whenever we choose to live our lives outloud those "haters" seem to come out of the woodwork. But, that's OK....you are a man of integrity...and you always rise to the top.
God has blessed you with many gifts and writing is one of them. I believe this gift will be used in another form. Be open to that.
Keep living out loud and sharing your life with others.
"You are awesome in this place mighty man!!!"
I love you and I am SO proud of you.

9:10 AM

 
Blogger The Young Family said...

You are truly a man of your word, and filled with integrity and great character. That is not something that happens over night. You have been "walking the walk" for a long time now. I commend you. I will miss the stories. I guess we will REALLY have you over for dinner now - we'll have to stop talking about it and do it!! Emily

10:02 PM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

We enjoyed your stories too, but I can see how some people could get offended. You might consider just moving over to a wordpress.com blog they can password protect everything and you can just share those with your friends/family, or just publish for yourself and not not make public at all. Just a thought. The book is a good idea too.

2:03 PM

 
Blogger The Laughin' Place said...

The world will miss this wonderful slice of life! I also look forward to that book - can I have an autographed copy? As I know you already do - write on in your heart tablet. You have risen above the fray, you are wise and full of integrity. Warrior on!

Don't let kindness and truth forsake you. Bind them around your neck. Write them on the tablet of your heart.

So you will find favor, and good understanding in the sight of God and man.

Trust in Yahweh with all your heart, and don't lean on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:3-5

Kirsten

2:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home